JUSTICE, a 1930 Express Cruiser, carried her original owner from his house in Connecticut to work in Manhattan's financial district. It was about a one hour trip with JUSTICE being driven at full throttle, torpedo boat fashion. Her narrow beam of 13 feet and 75 foot length allowed to her handle most weather with ease. In fact, her owner was served his breakfast during the morning voyage and cocktails on the return trip.
Justice, possibly the largest and finest surviving commuter yacht, remains remarkably true to her early years. She is one of very few remaining examples of these high speed luxery boats. Most became victims of time, rotting away forgotten and negleted in boatyards and boathouses.
Motor Yacht JUSTICE. 1930 John Wells designed fast commuter yacht.
Anchored Lake Montauk, NY
Motor Yacht Justice
John H. Wells (1879-1962), who designed JUSTICE, was a naval architect and marine consultant in New York City. He was a 1903 graduate of Cornell University in marine engineering. He was employed by various firms in his career, including the Matthews Boat Company in Ohio, the Electric Launch Company, Bayonne, New Jersey, and Henry J. Gielow, Inc. New York City. In 1956 John H. Wells, Inc., was absorbed by the J. J. Henry Co., Inc. Mr. Wells continued to work with the new firm until retirement. John Wells designed the lines for JUSTICE in 1927 and 5 other commuter yachts were built from these plans from the late 1920's through the early 1930's.